Friday, August 27, 2010

Summer 2 + Denmark

Soooo, after my one month of summer break, it was back to summer school!! Yay! I took a landscape architecture course focusing on sustainable environments and an honors case studies studio. As my first time staying for summer courses, I really enjoyed both my classes. Though they are all 8-week courses, really pressed for time esp for studio, they are both much less stressful then regular semesters courses. I think that largely is due to less courses to worry about, less distractions, and just being during summer. The studio this time is also taught by a visiting lecturer from NYC(Patt), who is an alumni and a former student of my last semester's professor. (Turned out we both lived on 8th floor of Griffith Hall our freshmen year....with 15 yrs of difference...weird huh?) My instructor's enthusiasm, dedication, and (good looks?) has definitely made architecture feel much less painful and more enjoyable again. I suppose for young students throwing ourselves into the dark pits of architecture edu, instructors really do matter quite a lot. (Not to say my former instructor wasn't inspiring, he was great in fact, but somehow just didn't work out too well.) All in all, summer school was really great and quite a relaxing way to experience berkeley from a different angle. (fireworks at the marina!!)

Aaaand after summer school, I had one week to move out of my berkeley apt, move back to home, and pack for Denmark. YES, it is FINALLY happening (after a yr of fighting and planing) AND Yes, it took me a whole week to unpack all my boxes, stuff them in my room, and take some out again to a far away land. My flight was on the 23rd of August, and was 11 hrs to Zurich, Switzerland, followed by 1 hr to Copenhagen. Since I was with SWISS Air, I got plenty of good chocolates and perhaps too much cheese. (Though the cheese were all American since they were stocked in the States)

Now I am on my third day in Copenhagen in my cozy little room. :} Thanks to many help and warm greetings from my land lord, so far everything has just been fantastic. I have really never experience anything like this city (well, since I have never been to EU) very different from Taipei and SF. The Danes walk and bike everywhere, which also means they have awesome bike lanes that are separated from the car traffic. The sidewalks are mainly cobble stones with larger flat tiles it one should like prefer flater surface. (I kept walking in the bike lane since that seems to resemble us sidewalks a lot, more of an instinct) The country is VERY flat, definitely a big change from the hilly berkeley. I was running by the harbor today (I live REALLY close to it) and running on flat ground is definitely much easier. The night view of the harbor was amazing (sorry no pix, didn't have camera) as the other side is mainly taller office buildings lit up in different colors. There were also lots of people hanging out by the harbor. It is essentially a huge park with areas for skaters, restaurants, grassy recreational areas, and plenty of seating. Oh and of course the famous harbor pool (designed by BIG) is also there.

Alright, now that I have finally churned out my summer, I should head to bed son. My landlord is taking me out on a tour of the city, thus should be up early, though I have been taking 2-3 hr naps during the afternoon...jet lag perhaps? I will try to post more often with short updates of different things Iearned each day in Denmark.


p.s. I explored the Danish Teli (TV) today. I was surprised to find so many British and American channels. I saw friends, the steward show, (yes, they exist here) mtv, vh1, Danish nickelodeon, and bunch of movies. (including american pie) They are all subtitles with Danish. I think I was only able to find a couple Danish speaking channels...though Discovery was in Danish.

0 comments: