Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Little Mermaid

Today, I woke like usual, had Crusilii for breakfast (cereal from Quaker, chocolate flavored with chocolate bits.) and start reading a book given to me by a friend a yr ago. I have been enjoying this book a lot, it's a compilation of short stories by Muraue Haruki. Since the book in in Chinese, his name is known to me as 村上春樹, though I did attempt to sound it out in Japanese. (むらうえはるき)Then I saw a huge picture of a Japanese man on the Danish Sat. paper and was reading "Muraue Haruki" in Danish.(the photo of him in my book was much younger..) Then followed a slow but crazy realization that the paper were translating his work directly in the article (in Danish of course) while I am reading his works! My landlord, Grethe, then kindly informed me that he is in Denmark now and will be holding a lecture! However, it also said on the paper that all tickets are already sold out… :( I suppose I can only wait for other possible events to meet him while he is here. Conclusion: Must meet him in Denmark and must see SANAA's exhibition. :) Everyone I want to see is here!!

Later on that day, Grethe gave me a tour of CPH and areas outside of town by car. We visited the rich section of CPH with beautiful streets and more French looking apts. Then it was off to see the Little Mermaid. As you may know she is in Shanghai @ the Expo. However, her place by the harbor is replaces by a bug screen showing her live from the Danish pavilion. Hilarious, no? I had a sudden urge that if only I knew someone there RIGHT NOW, I can see him or her on the screen too!

Little Mermaid LIVE

Afterwards, we joined the hundred of ppl to watch the annual event of ppl swimming in the harbor for about 2km though the canals that cut sections of the city. Brave souls, though it was quite sunny…We also visited the Black Diamond, or the National Library. Beautiful architecture indeed, and I have to say much more pleasant than BIG's Mountain and Tallet (8) Apts. We visited them by the end of the day….the aluminum/steel metal sheets as apt building material gives off a cold and share feeling…really not desirable, but very nice to photograph. Now looking at the architecture in real life, I am much less impressed by it, and definitely would not want to live there. Compared to the old Danish (or even some newer ones) in the city, these are too cold and has no street life at all. Though, I have to agree if they were build in bricks (as most other buildings in DK) it would ruin the form. I guess material wise metal does look nice, but for housing….wood is much warmer. I did get a kick out of the amazing view and green roof though. :} Until tomorrow, it's 3 am (again) and I should head to bed.

Swim meet around the Black Diamond.
Danish hot dog. Sweeter.

0 comments: